Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:54:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        BenG@thekeyboard.com (Benjamin George)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Old CD-ROM won't work

Benjamin George wrote,
> I bought an old 486DX2 to setup for a low traffic server...  When I got
> it (from a friend), it had dos and win 3.1 installed, and the CD-ROM
> drive worked fine.  I installed freebsd 2.2.7-Release from a CD-ROM, and
> everything went just fine.  After the installation (since DOS and Win
> 3.1 is gone, I formated the drive), I can't get the CD-ROM drive to
> work.  it's an old 2X drive.  the only thin I can think of that would
> make a difference is that DOS was there the first time, but I don't know
> why that would make any difference because I booted from a floppy.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You booted from a floppy? I thought you said you installed from
CDROM... Anyway, have you made any changes to the BIOS? Have you made
any changes to the hardware? Is this a SCSI or IDE CDROM?

And presicely what do you mean by 'you can't get it to work?' You
can't boot from it? It's not recognized at startup? It's recognized at
startup, but you cannot mount or read off of it?

Could we see the 'dmesg' output relating to the CDROM?