Date:      27 Jul 1999 01:00:08 +0900
From:      sada@rr.IIJ4U.OR.JP (SADA Kenji)
To:        foxfair@drago.cert.org.tw
Cc:        sada@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/12794: FAQ entry about a problem for lack of ld.so.

>>   Actually I think this information can be found in 3.1-R && 3.2-R's ERRTA.
>>   Your PR just implied "Some 3.x users could have trouble of missing
>>   ld.so" but it is not true. The truth is 3.1-R lacked with (aout) ld.so ,
>>   you need to install compat22 distribution; and 3.2-R missed its
>>   installation directory from /usr/lib/compat(right place)  to
>>   /usr/lib/compat/aout(wrong place). Those file in /usr/lib/compat now
>>   should be ELF format.
>>
>>   I don't think it is necessary to include these information to FAQ. You
>>   can check it out from the errata file of every release version. And I
>>   encourage people to do so.

Actually 3.2-R still needs compat22 for Netscape,
so many users send question about it to ML and me.

Now I recommend adding the note to ERRATA-3.2, not FAQ.
Probably 3.2 users wouldn't see ERRATA-3.1 .

Current Netscape ports would warn about need of compat22 to users
and the notation wouldn't be necessary for ERRATA-3.3 or later.

--
SADA Kenji <sada@rr.IIJ4U.OR.JP>                "There's a rainbow in my soul"
<http://WWW.rr.IIJ4U.OR.JP/~sada/>;                               Gene Chandler