Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 2008 19:27:49 -0800
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
Cc:        Joey Mingrone <joey@mingrone.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: garmin forerunner 305

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 20:24:02 +0100
Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 11:51:33 -0300
> "Joey Mingrone" <joey@mingrone.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has anyone had any success collecting data from a Garmin Forerunner
> > 305?
> >
> > When I connect the device I see the kernel messages:
> > Sep  4 11:39:22 jrm root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x091e product
> > 0x0003 bus uhub1
> > Sep  4 11:39:22 jrm kernel: ugen0: <vendor 0x091e product 0x0003,
> > class 255/255, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2> on uhub1
> >
> > The documentation for the port astro/GPSMan seems to indicate it
> > supports this model, but I haven't had any luck.
> >
> > % uname -a
> > FreeBSD xxx.xxx 7.0-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p1 #3: Thu Jun 12
> > 18:47:50 ADT 2008     root@xxx.xxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/xxx  i386
>
> Unfortunately Garmin use their own protocol for communicating between
> the GPS and the PC.  Under Linux it's supported by the garmin_gps
> driver but there's no equivalent for FreeBSD yet.

Sorry, it turns out that's wrong: the gpsbabel developers recommend not
using garmin_gps because apparently it often doesn't work.  Instead
they recommend using gpsbabel's 'garmin' input/output format.  It
interfaces to the device using libusb - which, fortunately for us runs
on FreeBSD! I've just successfully read back GPS data into a GPX file
using gpsbabel on FreeBSD 8-CURRENT and the 'usb2' usb stack.

I don't know if it'll work with the usb stack that's in shipping
version of FreeBSD though, and even with the new stack I had to make a
change to libgpsusb.c in gpsbabel to get it working.

--
Bruce Cran