Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 05:21:21 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@mass.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Oleg Sharoiko <os@rsu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with 2 video cards: /src/sys/pci.c code question

> I've just tried to install second video card into Intel L440GX+ based box
> running FreeBSD and this broke the system: the screen output is messed (even
> during device probing), some characters are not printed, scrolling doesn't
> work well and after some short time it dies with only 'reset' key working.

Grr.  The BIOS shouldn't turn these resources on.  However, why are you
trying to put a second video card into the system?

> I've looked into the log and found this
> ----------------------------
> revision 1.141.2.3
> date: 2000/09/01 23:29:34;  author: msmith;  state: Exp;  lines: +9 -5
> MFC: fix up botched PCI configuration by the BIOS in the case where a
> resource has been allocated but its class is not marked as enabled
> in the command register.
> ----------------------------
>
> So I'm wondering is this a bug or I should by some means disable first
> card. There're no any jumpers or bios options to disable video card. I suppose
> that kernel turns on the built-in video adapter and it conflicts with the one
> I've plugged in. I don't have strong skills in PCI programming so I'm asking
> for your help.

We don't (properly) support multiple video adapters at this time.  If
you're trying to override the onboard video adapter, I do believe that
the Intel L440GX+ does provide a jumper on the board to disable the
builtin video.

The problem here is somewhat complex; in reality we shouldn't care
whether the resource kind is actually enabled in the PCI command
register, and devices that do care should have it fixed up in the driver
or when the resource is allocated.  There are a number of other fixes
that need to be made to the PCI resource allocation code, and I supposed
I (or whoever else makes them) will try to fix all this at the same time.

Sorry. 8(