Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 2003 05:08:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Viktor Lazlo <viktorlazlo@telus.net>
To:        Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question on CVS Branches

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Heinrich Rebehn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> please forgive me if this is a FAQ, but just what is the meaning of the RELENG_4
> branch? Is it more current then RELENG_4_7 or RELENG_4_8 ?
> What should i use if i want to get security patches for my 4.7-RELEASE-p4
> installation?
> What would happen if i use RELENG_4 ?

RELENG_4 is the development branch for FreeBSD-STABLE. RELENG_4_7 and
RELENG_4_8 are the security fix branches for those releases.  If you want
to track the most current code, use RELENG_4.  If you just want to ensure
your system is updated with the latest security patches for your release
use RELENG_4_7, or RELENG_4_8 if you want to upgrade.

Cheers,

Viktor