Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:24:41 -0400
From:      Jay Sachs <jay@avacet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: module_register/linker_file_sysinit messages

Phil Staub wrote:

> After a fresh install of 4.1R followed by building/installing a new
> kernel, I now get numerous messages of the following form upon boot:
>
> module_register: module miibus/xmphy already exists!
> linker_file_sysinit "miibus.ko" failed to register! 17
>
> Could someone point me to the meaning and resolution of this? It's not
> obvious from manpages, handbook or faq (or at least my searches came
> up empty). I also did a little poking around in the config files in
> /boot. The closest thing I could find was an entry in
> /boot/defaults/loader.conf that said:
>
> miibus_load="NO"                # miibus support, needed for some drivers
>
> Should this say "YES"? I'm running ed and xl drivers.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

As a possibly related "me-too", I get this console message as PPPoE
starts up. I have NETGRAPH, NETGRAPH_PPP and NETGRAPH_PPPOE options set
in the kernel config, but as soon as ppp makes the connection, I get an
equivalent message, but related to the negraph.ko module.  Things
function normally though.

In sys/kern/kern_module.c, I see

	/* temporary kludge until kernel `file' attachment registers modules */
	error = module_register(data, linker_kernel_file);
	if (error)
	    panic("module_register_init: register of module failed! %d",
error);
	mod = module_lookupbyname(data->name);
	if (mod == NULL)
	    panic("module_register_init: module STILL not found!");

If it's a hack, why not make it a friendlier hack and special-case a
return of EEXIST from module_register()? Either print a different
message, or no message at all, perhaps.

jay