Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 1997 22:49:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Shaun Finn <sfinn@thecore.com>
To:        Cayford Burrell <cayford@vicor-nb.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, julian@whistle.com, phk@tfs.com
Subject:   Re: SCSI problems

I just upgraded to FreeBSD 2.2.1 on my news server and have been
seeing the exact same problem and it is getting very frustrating.
I have the Adaptec 2940 running 3 4GB Seagate Hawks on a P5/100.

Is anybody working on this problem?

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Cayford Burrell wrote:
> Hi there.  We're having trouble with SCSI.  Need
> some help.  Console shows "timeout while idle",
> with a bunch of variables like SCSI_SIGI, LASTPHASE,
> and so on.  Very often, the cpu freezes.  Sometimes,
> the system recovers.  I can easily recreate this.
>
> I heard from Poul-Henning that 2.2 had problems like
> this and that they were solved with 2.2.1.  Well,
> I still have problems.  2.2.1 is better, but under
> load (6 processes reading a series of 200k files), it
> will crash, after 5-10 minutes, sometimes after 2-3 hours.
>
> Specifics: P5/133, Adaptec 2940UW, Seek Raid disk
> configured as one SCSI target with 39gb, AHC_TAGENABLE
> amd AHC_MEMIO.  NOT AHC_PAGE_SCB (or whatever turns on
> SCB paging).  FreeBSD 2.2.1.

| Shaun M. Finn                    TechnoCore Communications, Inc. |
| sfinn@thecore.com                P.O. Box 106                    |
| (908)928-7400 FAX:(908)928-7402  Jackson, NJ 08527-0106          |