Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 17:32:33 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        Akinori -Aki- MUSHA <knu@idaemons.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, bmah@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Enhancement of pkg_version's version comparison routine

Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> On Tue 2000-10-03 (15:24), Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> >
> > > You rule.
> > >
> > > If you or anyone else is bored, hack multi-version support into
> > > pkg_version like I did way-back-when:
> > >
> > > webalizer-1.30.4                    = up-to-date
> > > webalizer-2.00.12                   = up-to-date
> >
> > The more comprehensive solution would be to add information about package origin
> > (i.e. corresponding /usr/ports/foo/bar directory) into +CONTENTS, so pkg_version
> > will be able to look into port's directory to check version instead of relying
> > on INDEX (however the latter could be used as a fallback). This should fix at
> > least two problems with pkg_version: considerable lag between actual ports and
> > versions in ports/INDEX; and inability to distinguish between multi-version
> > ports. I currently looking into this problem and it seems that we could utilize
> > either `@option' or `@comment' PLIST variables to avoid introducing new variable
> > (to retain backward compatability of packages).
> >
> > Any comments, ideas, suggestions?
>
> Take zsh and zsh-devel, or any of those devel packages - how do you tell
> which one to follow when it moves from zsh-5.0 and zsh-devel-6.0 to
> zsh-7.0 and zsh-devel-8.0?
>
> I like your idea, though.  That just seemed to leap at me.

Hmm, I do not see any problems, for example:

Moment of time t1:
- you have installed foo-5.0 and foo-6.0 from somecategory/foo and
somecategory/foo-devel ports;

Moment of time t2>t1:
- the ports have been upgraded, so you now have foo-7.0 and foo-8.0 for foo and
foo-devel ports;
- pkg_version looks into foo-5.0 installed package and determines that it should check
somecategory/foo to determine whether update necessary. It does so, BAH you have to
upgrage to foo-7.0;
- pkg_version looks into foo-6.0 installed package and determines that it should check
somecategory/foo-devel to determine whether update necessary. It does so, BAH you have
to upgrage to foo-8.0.

Am I wrong?

-Maxim