Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 20:02:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        nordwick@scam.xcf.berkeley.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: message queues for I/O (usenix paper)

In article <local.mail.freebsd-hackers/19990909003757.66140.qmail@scam.xcf.berkeley.edu> you write:
>There is alot of talk going on over at the linux-kernel mailing list
>about implementing synchronous messaging for I/O.  They are talking about
>a paper that was presented at USENIX:
>
>  http://www.cs.rice.edu/~gaurav/papers/usenix99.ps
>
>The general idea is that select() and poll() fall over with large numbers of
>file descriptors for two reasons.  First, scanning the interest list begins to
>consume more time.  Second, the stateless nature between calls means that
>alot of redundant processing occurs.  The solution these guys (the authors)
>say is to have a way of registering interest in descriptors, then you can
>call a procedure to find out what has changed since last time.
>
>I personally think that select() is just fine and can be implemented
>more efficiently than currently, but I would be willing to give it a shot
>at both cooperating with the Linux people to get a good Linux/FreeBSD
>API layed down and then implementing it.
>
>I know some of you heard this paper presented so does anybody have any
>ideas about it?

Yes.  I don't particularly like some of the things in the paper,
although it does have several good concepts.  I have an implementation
that does exactly this, and have a line on two other implementations
that do the same thing (but in a different fashion).  Unfortunately,
all of these are somewhat problem-specific and are not a general
solution.

I've spent some time working on a generic implementation that draws
its ideas from several places.  I hope to be in a position where I
can work on this almost full time within a month.
--
Jonathan