Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:50:03 -0700
From:      Mike Durian <durian@boogie.com>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
Cc:        Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@nomadiclab.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about IPsec and double ipfilter processing

On Monday 20 January 2003 11:34 pm, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> I don't see this. I have one rule on my external interface,
>
>   block in log quick on de0 all                           head 2000
>     pass  in     quick proto esp from any to 12.234.89.252/32          =
 =20
> group 2000

First, let me point out that I'm running -current (as of 2 days ago).
I don't know if that is revelent to this discussion or not.

The behavior you state is the behavior I was expecting and hoping for,
but not what I experienced.  When I study my ipmon and ipfstat output,
I see the "pass esp" rule matching packets, but then I also see the
decoded packets being dropped.  I observed the same behavior when
I was using ipfw instead of ipfilter.

I am a bit surprised that the packet count is not the same for the
ESP packets and the un-encapsulated packets.

41 @5 block in log quick on rl0 from 192.168.0.0/16 to any
27 @15 pass in quick on rl0 proto esp from 64.139.19.166/32 to 66.87.52.1=
32/32

> Obviously, I need a rule on the internal interface to let the
> unecrypted traffic pass this interface. But since all of the
> interesting filtering of traffic from the outside world happens on the
> external interface,

I my case the packets are being dropped on the outside interface, as show=
above.

mike