Date:      Thu, 15 Dec 2016 12:27:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        "Paul Schmehl" <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Openssl - base or port?

On Thu, December 15, 2016 11:47 am, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> Is there an advantage to use openssl from base rather than ports?  Or vice
> versa?  When was openssl added to the base?  Why?

I know this is not an answer, but some of the packages may be built with
openssl from packages as opposed to base. Theoretically it shouldn't
matter (cough... cough...), but some package using SSL (though it didn't
bring openssl package as dependency) didn't work for me until I installed
openssl package. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will weigh in on this.

Valeri