Date:      Thu, 06 Jun 1996 12:12:12 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        zgebura@vuepp.sanet.sk (Zgebura Stefan)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with boot diskettes.

> I've got problem with booting from diskette.
> I've prepared boot diskette using UNIX machine according the handbook
> dd if=boot.flp of /dev/rfd0, this finished correctly, but when
> I wan to restart a computer and boot from floppy, it didn't work.

1) Did you make sure that you have a 100% error free media? That is,
   when you have formatted the floppy under DOS it should not have
   shown any bad sectors.

2) What happens when you insert the diskette and boot it?
   Does the floppy light get lit? Do you see any characters or messages
   on the screen? Are you able to boot a DOS floppy from that
   computer?

3) How did you transfer the boot.flp to your computer? If you did
   it via ftp, did you use binary mode for the transfer?