Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 14:57:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BeBox mention of FreeBSD...

> Saw this in the latest issue of the Be newsletter.  Apparently I'm a
> registered Be developer now, but I'm going to save my money for a little
> bit before springing to buy one.  Any BeBox owners on this list want to
> comment?  For those of you who haven't heard of Be, http://www.be.com/
>
> Thomas J. Merritt, president of CodeGen, on the BeBox:
>   "I think it would make a terrific networking server. The only other thing
> that comes close in price/performance is a generic PC loaded with FreeBSD,
> 								  ^^^^^^^
> but that's a pain to configure. Windows NT and pay-for UNIX cost more, and
> other desktop OS's don't offer memory protection or other niceties the
> BeBox has."  Parag adds, "With the GeekPort, the BeBox could also be nice
> as a user-friendly factory floor controller."

I saw that too... I've been a registered developer for a while now.

I have previous PPC commitments which I am struggling to meet, so I
can't really throw any work into yet another box at this time.

If you've been following thecomp.sys.powerpc group from the early
days, Gassee and I exchanged some articles where he was very pro
a third party OS for their box (I have more private email bolstering
that opinion) and there is an outstanding public offer of support
from Be to that effect (if anyone is interested).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.