Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 02:27:54 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Marko Cuk <cuk@cuk.nu>
Cc:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stability

* Marko Cuk <cuk@cuk.nu> [001108 01:52] wrote:

> Roman Shterenzon wrote:
>

> > I've a perfectly good PR about vinum (panics) open. There's no even single
> > follow up (kern/22103).
> > I couldn't stand it any longer, so I'm not able to recreate it since I'm
> > using raid1 on those disks now. I waited for almost one month but
> > aparently nothing was done. (I opened one PR before that but it was badly
> > formatted and had to become closed).
> >
> > I understand that people have other things to do, and FreeBSD is volunteer
> > project, but we shall face the truth - the man page for vinum should state
> > that RAID5 is experimental and prone to crashes. It should be emphasized
> > that it shouldn't be used in sensitive environmets.
> > I know other people for whom it rendered their servers unusable.
> >
> > I managed 8( to crash it today as well. I'll probably move to hardware
> > raid solution instead, I'm quite fed up with vinum.
> >

> Wich good hardware solution is supported under FreeBSD ?

AMI MegaRAID and Mylex are a good bet, they are very stable for me.

> > I've a crash dump of today, perhaps I'll open another PR.
> >

> I've had crash before one hour, and I've only doing cvsup ports .... Yesterday I
> was changing speed of ipfw pipe and it crashed after a second. I cannot imagine
> such things.
>
> I can't have 20 days of uptime because of so many crashes.
>
> Yes, I know a solution for stable FreeBSD. Leave it completly alone and don't do
> anything.
>
> It's no good. Fbsd is 4.1.

This isn't a useful bug report, please see:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kerneldebug.html

Furthermore, I'm sorry FreeBSD isn't stable for you, but things
like vinum and ipfw pipe are quite new to FreeBSD, with good bug
reports these features could be made more stable, but right now I
wouldn't recommend twiddling too much with vinum in RAID 5 mode
(RAID 0/1 is fine).