Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 23:11:04 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Matthew E. Martini" <martini@invision.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: invalid partition

Boot ordering is typically controlled by your system and/or peripheral
BIOS config.  Since I have no idea what your system BIOS is like, I
can't really help you a lot here.  You should check the Adaptec BIOS setup
to see if the version you have allows you to tweak it's boot ordering
position.

Note also that a BIOS upgrade for your board and/or the Adaptec
controller may help things out.

Unfortunately, I can't really offer much more assistance here, other than
to tell you the source of your woes.  If you had an 'a' partition on the
first drive on the 3ware controller, you could put

1:da(0,a)/boot/loader

in /boot.config on that partition, which would be a functional but
irritating workaround.