Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:46:36 -0400
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   XFree86 4 only works as startx but not xdm, on ati radeon  7000

I've ended up with an ATI 7000 instead of the 7200 I specced, as they
claim that ATI is now sending them instead.  THey also claim I have a
64mb model of the 7000, though I see no evidence of this on the ATI
site.

xf86cfg configures a workable configuration, though not dumping core
seems to depend upon the order in which I choose options.  In fact, the
only safe bet seems to be to choose none at all . . .

If I choose modelines and configure the keyboard to wipe out capslock,
I messages from the server that 24 bit mode is not supported by the vga
driver--even though it claims during setup to be using the ati driver.

A bare, naked "quit" gives  me an XF86Config that can start up the
server in startx, and apparently has all 30 or 40 default modes (though
none show in the config file).  The monitor and video card are
correctly identified, though I get no horizontal refresh rate listed
and a group of vertical ranges rather than the 48-170hz of the monitor.

I can use startx as root, and then "xhost +" and su to run user
programs.  However, If I use the "xuath list $DISPLAY" and "xauth add
$DISPLAY" sequence, the user session still tries to change /root/
.Xauthority, rather than ~/.Xauthority.

If I try to run xdm (my normal mode of operation), the montitor dies
and the indicator goes amber (lack of signal).  I can reboot with the
wild sequences of alt-ctrl-f2 and three fingered salute.  I expect that
I can also try

 xdm; sleep 30; killall -9 xdm

but I had to give up due to heat problems.

I've *never* had this much trouble getting X running before; not even
on a 68k mac.

hawk, staring at $5300 worth of useless equipment