Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 14:11:20 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Crist J . Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Paulius Bulotas <paulius@kaktusas.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw core dumped

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 02:33:48AM -0800, Crist J . Clark wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 12:18:39PM +0200, Paulius Bulotas wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > recompiled kernel (now it is STABLE, although cvsup supfile says
> > RELENG_4). Options are:
> >
> > options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
> > options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=50
> > options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
> >
> > In kernel changes I saw, that there was a backport of ipfw from stable
> > to release, maybe that's the cause, but when I try to do for example
> > ipfw -a show it just dumps core ;)
>
> ipfw(8) dumping core would have nothing to do with kernel
> changes.

Not actually.  With the latest Luigi's changes to RELENG_4 ipfw, just
recompliling a kernel (without also recompiling userland ipfw(8)),
it causes ipfw(8) to dump core.

> > What could be wrong and how to fix this?
>
> Could you show us the _exact_ command line you used, the exact error
> message, post the core file, and run 'ident /usr/src/sbin/ipfw/*'?

Recompile ipfw(8) (or, better yet, "make world").

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,