Date:      Sat, 03 Aug 2002 20:06:36 -0400
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dhcp problems with my ISP

--==_Exmh_-1258474640P

> Or "broad-band-ly speaking"?

Yes, exactly... :-)

> AT&T Broadband Internet will not give you a static IP or permit
> you to run a server (they have blocking hardware in place) unless
> you sign up for "business service", which means you give them
> about four times the monthly fee vs. a "home" connection.

Hmm. I don't see where the original post mentions any specific ISP - thus this
is simply the policy of a single ISP, and not the one the poster is on? (In
fact, it looks rather like the poster is in Dear Old Blighty... ;-)

Given the current plethora of misconfigured proxies spewing SPAM, I have to
admit I'm not as incensed by this as I might once have been.

If you don't like this policy from your ISP, vote with your wallet. If you
have no other choice in your area, then you have my sympathy. You could always
move... :-d

PacHell (and many other DSL providers) don't gouge you for a static IP, I'm
happy to say.

> Their technical FAQ is also enlighteining on their need for a MAC
> address: http://www.bbs.att.com/faqstech.shtml .

Hmm, I didn't actually find it to be so. Other than mentioning how to find
your MAC on 'Doze box, I saw no reference to it at all. Perhaps I missed (or
failed to intuit) something?

Regards,

AS

--==_Exmh_-1258474640P