Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 19:32:36 +0100
From:      "Jesus A. Mora Marin" <amora@zoom.es>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-doc@freebsd.org" <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Francisco Reyes" <reyesf@super.zippo.com>
Subject:   Re: Spanish documentation - needed anyhow?

> >> different approaches can be used. For some reason, translators in
> >> South America use to be more purist when facing those neologism and
> >> try to find an equivalent Spanish expression.
> >
> > :-)
> > Never thought of it, but I do like the idea of finding Spanish
> > equivalents instead of using the English word. I don't consider
> > myself a purist however. There simply are words which never existed
> > in Spanish and using something simmilar or equal to the English word
> > is not really bad (in my opinion).

Surely, it's not bad, whenever communication and understanding are
not compromised.

> I disagree, not just with Spanish.  The French do this, too, and the
> Germans used to.  I spent a long time in Germany, and although I speak
> good German, I found it very helpful to have the same technical terms
> in German and in English.  One problem in particular was that you
> can't always find a suitable new (German|French|Spanish) word to
> translate a new English term, and some of the resultant attempts are
> ambiguous and just plain painful.

That's what I was trying to say. Consider the term "buffer". Some
guys take their dictionary and talk eg of "memoria tampon". But this
simply doesn't sound well in Sp. To give an exact correspondence you
should include a glossary and say:

Tampon, memoria: (del ingles: buffer) Area de memoria de
almacenamiento temporal y/o intermedio.

But I think this is beyond what's intended.

Some other guys are more imaginative and translate "cache memory" as
"antememoria", what back into English would be "fore-memory" or
"pre-memory", I'm not sure. Here you're really out of play. You
must deduce from the context what the heck they mean. Again, IMHO,
sometimes no translation is the best translation.

> >> so surely we have somehow different opinions. And of course
> >> opinions from every people concerned with this subject are welcome
> >> (don't blame on us once the work is over :)
> >
> > My take on it is that better to have a not so great Spanish version
> > than no version at all. Besides the more criticisms we get the better
> > we will make it.
>
> Right, guys, go for it!
>
> Greg

Of course. Editors are great whenever revisions are needed.

Jesus
------
Jesus A. Mora Marin, MD (aka EA7HAC, ex-EC7DVE)
Email: amora@zoom.es

"As a matter of fact, we at M$ are working hard to pave the
 road of progress for the upper New Man back to the trees."
   From "Brains? Who needs them?", (Mind$uckers Press)