Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:25:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.7RC on PWS 600AU: machine check panic on boot

Matthias Buelow writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > booting a PWS 600AU from the 4.7RC boot cdrom results in a
 > machine check panic right after it's been waiting for scsi
 > (see below).  Is the PWS fully supported?  The machine's got
 > 1.5G RAM, NetBSD's got a (known) bug with SCSI with >=1G on
 > that particular machine but it doesn't show up there like this.
 > Are similar problems known for FreeBSD, or is it faulty hw?
 > Does anybody have FreeBSD/alpha running on a PWS, preferrably
 > with >1G RAM?

A PWS was the second or 3rd machine to boot FreeBSD on real hardware
way back when. -)

You can't use > 1GB of RAM on a PWS.  I don't think the busdma code is
currently smart enough to use s/g dma for buffers outside the
direct-map window (1GB on PWS).  The failure mode is rather strange,
but not all that surprising if an errant DMA scribbled over some
kernel data.

You may be able to boot by breaking into the boot loader and
setting your memory to be 1GB:

ok set hw.physmem=1000M
ok boot

I say "may" because I'm not sure what gets lopped off.

Not what you wanted to hear, probably.

Drew