Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:53:02 +0300
From:      Anton - Valqk <lists@lozenetz.org>
To:        Andy Kosela <andy.kosela@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CLARITY re: challenge: end of life for 6.2 is premature with buggy	6.3

Just my 5cents (some thoughts),

I fully agree with the lines below.
As noticed below there is more attention to developing new features,
than making releases rock solid stable.
As mentioned in reply posts the 3 branches 6.X 7.X and 8.X takes too
many resources and
is very hard to support.
I, personally, will be waiting for 7.2 release (noticed that .2 over few
(3-4 years)) are most stable ones.

My main drama with FreeBSD is that ports don't have -SECURITY patches,
and if I there is a bug in php
I have to rerbuild and populate the latest version.
Another _very important_ thing is that there is no binary support to
packages that has vulns,
and you have to rebuild them from ports.

Just a simple example:
I have 4-5 fbsd machines and about 15-20 debian stable machines.
To administer fbsd machines when there are ports bugs(bugs in ports I
use) it takes me at
least about 4times more time than update _all_ debian machines...
Well...I have other things to do too, too many... now guess what I will
choose?
I'll use debian, and that's not because I don't have will to use
freebsd, it's simply because I do my tasks 4 times slower than when I
choose debian.
Someone will say "FreeBSD is not for you, then back off". That's not the
point, I like fbsd, but as more busy I get, as less I'll be able to use it,
takes too much of my time.

Once I've told that there is no binary support (but I didn't expressed
myself correctly). There is no ports VULNS binary support.
If there is (and I've never heard of it), I'll be very happy someone to
point me out this, because I'll continue running fbsd.

Ah, another thing,
I'm waiting for virtualization networking layer for jails for quite long.
I've tested it on a test server, worked perfect, but on production I
don't want to patch my base.
there are few other features to jals that never got commited in base,
and as I said I don't want to patch it...
in linux (debian for me) there is xen that works with 'new' intel
hardware virtualization, that's another red point for debian....

there are other things that I'll leave unsaid....so... that's all for now.

sorry for my bad english,
it's not my native.

these are just my thoughts and don't want to force anyone to agree with
them,
but I'll be happy to read your thoughts on this.

cheers,
valqk.

believed to be clean.