Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 18:06:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@highperformance.net>
To:        Alex Edelman <aedelman@undef.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (hardware?) trouble with make buildworld on 4.5

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Alex Edelman wrote:

> My current theory on the failure places blame on the CPU; I think, it is
> either busted (I broke it) or it is not supported by FreeBSD.  The
> hardware is a Shuttle SV24 (those cute mini-systems everybody raves about)
> and the CPU is a Via C3 866 (Ezra core or later.)  I have a friend who has
> the same system and a slightly older/slower Via C3 (Samuel core).  He
> upgraded to 4.5-STABLE last night without any problems.

I am not sure about VIA chips.

> Here is the relevant snippet from his dmesg output:
>
> CPU: VIA C3 Samuel 2 (751.71-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Origin = "CentaurHauls"  Id = 0x671 Stepping = 1
>   Features=0x803035<FPU,DE,TSC,MSR,MTRR,PGE,MMX>
>
> ...Here is mine, note the unrecognized CPU:
>
> CPU: IDT Unknown (864.47-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Origin = "CentaurHauls"  Id = 0x678  Stepping = 8
>   Features=0x803035<FPU,DE,TSC,MSR,MTRR,PGE,MMX>
>
> Here are the last 50 lines of two separate make buildworld attempts.

The few lines leading up to the 'Stop' line usually tell the needed
information.

> Here are the last 50 lines of two separate make buildworld attempts.
> Both of which were done last night, after deleting all of /usr/src and
> /usr/obj, and grabbing fresh from cvsup7.freebsd.org.  Thanks in
> advance for any guidance you can provide.

Deleting /usr/src is not useful.  Cvsup will correct a not up to date
source tree.  Deleting /usr/obj is accomplishes by a 'make clean' as part
of a normal 'make buildworld'.

'make world' includes the make targets of 'make buildworld' and 'make
installworld'.

Let's look.

/usr/src/lib/libncurses/../../contrib/ncurses/ncurses/base/lib_refresh.c
-o
lib_refresh.o
/usr/src/lib/libncurses/../../contrib/ncurses/ncurses/base/lib_refresh.c: In
function `wnoutrefresh':
/usr/src/lib/libncurses/../../contrib/ncurses/ncurses/base/lib_refresh.c:73:
syntax error before character 0323

Syntax errors here. ^^^

/usr/src/lib/libncurses/../../contrib/ncurses/ncurses/base/lib_refresh.c:129:
`limit_x' undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/src/lib/libncurses/../../contrib/ncurses/ncurses/base/lib_refresh.c:129:
(Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/usr/src/lib/libncurses/../../contrib/ncurses/ncurses/base/lib_refresh.c:129:
for each function it appears in.)
*** Error code 1
> /usr/src/lib/libncurses/../../contrib/ncurses/ncurses/base/lib_refresh.c:129: `limit_x' undeclared (first use in this function)
> /usr/src/lib/libncurses/../../contrib/ncurses/ncurses/base/lib_refresh.c:129: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> /usr/src/lib/libncurses/../../contrib/ncurses/ncurses/base/lib_refresh.c:129: for each function it appears in.)
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/lib/libncurses.
> *** Error code 1

And also...

> cc -O -pipe  -D_IEEE_LIBM -D_ARCH_INDIRECT=i387_  -c /usr/src/lib/msun/src/k_standard.c -o k_standard.o
> /usr/src/lib/msun/src/k_standard.c: In function `__kernel_standard':
> /usr/src/lib/msun/src/k_standard.c:322: syntax error before character 0240
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/lib/msun.
> *** Error code 1

This says "syntax error" too. ^^^

I don't know why you are getting syntax errors. My guess is you supped at
an inopportune moment.  I would sup again and 'make buildworld'.

Like I said, I don't know about VIA chips and how well they are supported.
One commonly sees errors like 'kernel panic, signal 11' when there is a
faulty hardware problem.

If you have a custom kernel, make sure it has support for the 686 class
CPU.  This is shown in your dmesg output.

My answers is based on an empirical guess.  I think a new sup might
work.  It has almost always worked for me when I get a syntax error of
some sort.

Also, when your build fails on a certain file in a certain directory, you
can change to that directory and often do a 'make clean' 'make' in that
specific directory.  If I get a buildworld failure, I will re-sup and do
the above to see if my problem cleared up before I spend all that time
waiting for 'make world' to work its way into the problematic directory.

Also, if I can't figure it out, my post to -stable would have a subject
like "make world dies in ./libexec/telnetd".  This way if a commiter just
MFCed a change to telnetd, she can spot your error message quickly and
investigate.

These are just a couple tips to round out your self proclaimed lack of
experience.  HTH!

Jason C. Wells