Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 1995 17:54:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: [Q] dump, restore suid

As Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> 	both/sbin/dump and /sbin/restore are suid root  on FreeBSD 2.0R
> same for /sbin/rrestore and /sbin/rdump
>
> 	so if joe pops in a tape and does a restore as a regular user on my
> machine over the net from his machine to mine using this suid root
> rrestore, he can drop in a /usr/sbin/vipw of his choice???

I hope they've been built `secure', at least, they both have something
like:

dump/main.c:
        (void)setuid(getuid()); /* rmthost() is the only reason to be setuid */

restore/tape.c:
        setuid(getuid());       /* no longer need or want root privileges */

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/