Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 18:54:25 -0400
From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: add MD5Chunk(filename, .., offset, length) to libmd

Peter Pentchev wrote:
> (I wonder if I'm starting another bikeshed, but oh well ;)
>
> As phk pointed out in the SITE MD5 thread, it is sometimes useful
> to compute the MD5 hash over a range of a file.  I agree this is trivial
> to implement, but why not have it in our standard toolbox?
>
> Attached is a patch to libmd, which adds an MD5Check() function,
> similar in all aspects to MD5File()  (actually quite a lot of it
> was shamelessly stolen from MD5File ;), but with additional two
> arguments, offset and length to compute the hash over.  If there is
> sufficient interest, I could take the time to document it in the
> corresponding manpages, too.

How about naming it MD5FileChunk to clearly show that it is an
extension (or generalization) of the MD5File function and not
something completely new? OTT it sounds useful.

Cheers,
Jeroen
--
Jeroen C. van Gelderen - jeroen@vangelderen.org

"If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it;
 and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I
 would also do that." -- Abraham Lincoln, August 22, 1862