Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 15:22:10 -0500
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        Joss Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to redirect output to a file, and then tail it ?

Your best bet is to use the "script" command...

Example:

merlin# script /var/log/filename
Script started, output file is /var/log/filename
merlin# <insert your buildworld here>

<---snip output of whatever command you issued-->

merlin# exit
merlin# exit
Script done, output file is /var/log/filename
merlin#

voila.  Works great actually, and then you don't need to worry about redirects.

--John