Date:      Fri, 07 Nov 2014 13:29:41 +0100
From:      "Ronald Klop" <ronald-lists@klop.ws>
To:        gmx@ross.cx, petefrench@ingresso.co.uk, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advice on an odd networking problem

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 13:20:45 +0100, Pete French
<petefrench@ingresso.co.uk> wrote:

>> My guess from "https" + "proportion of calls" + "503":
>> Maybe you run out of random data for ssl connections.
>> Thus nginx waits for more random data, times out, apache times out ->
>> 503 ?
>
> I didnt know it would do that - interesting. But in this case the https
> is on the outside only - those calls are succeeding, its the intrenal
> ones, which are http only, which are failing.
>
> -pete.

I quote your original story:

'We have 5 machines running webservers - apache24 serving cgi scripts,
plyus nginx being used to drive uwsgi with some django/python based
code. These are load balanced by pound on a machine which faces
the internet. This all works as expected, except that if I modify
the cgi-scripts running inside Apache so they make some https
calls to the nginx server on 127.0.0.1 then what we see is that
pound then stops being able to connect to Apache for a proportion
of its calls - its returns 503's.'

First you say Apache makes https calls to nginx on 127.0.0.1 and now you
say https is on the outside only. I find it hard to discuss if you change
the story halfway through.

So, what is actually taking to long and results in a 503 from where? You
need to figure that out.

Regards,
Ronald.