Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 17:43:46 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ettikan Kandasamy <ettikan@nttmsc.com.my>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: PCCARD Installation

[following up to -questions; -hardware and -hackers are not
 appropriate for this question]

On Wednesday,  7 July 1999 at 15:47:29 +0900, Ettikan Kandasamy wrote:

>      I'm trying to install 3Com Fast Ethernet 10/100 Base-TX (model
> 3CCFE575BT-D) into my Dell laptop-freeBSD 2.2.8. Could some one help me with the
> setup/installation procedure.
>
> I tried modifying the GENERIC file for the kernel and /etc/pccard* files. But
> did not succeed.
>
> 1) Does FreeBSD 2.2.8 has the driver for it or I need to download
>    it. ( if no where can I download it) ?

I don't know.  I don't see this particular model anywhere in our
documentation, but it's likely that the 3C579/3C589 driver would work.
In any case, I'd recommend you move to FreeBSD 3.2 before expending a
lot of work on a release which is no longer supported.

> 2) Is there any page gives the step by step installation guide for
>    this purpose.  ?? Let me know.

It appears that there isn't.

> 3) If not how/ where to begin ??

Well, I'm planning to write a chapter about mobile computing in the
next edition of "The Complete FreeBSD", but it's not in any shape to
show at the moment.  Basically, here's what you need to do:

1.  Build a kernel with the following device entries:

# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
controller	card0
device		pcic0	at card? irq 0
device		pcic1	at card? irq 0

2.  Copy /etc/pccard.conf.sample to /etc/pccard.conf.
3.  Run pccardd (just start it).
4.  Insert your PCMCIA board.
5.  Watch the messages that appear on the console.  You'll get one of
    these (or something like it):

Jul  7 17:33:53 mojave pccardd[56962]: No card in database for "3Com Corporation"("3CCFE575BT-D")

This message shows that pccardd has found the card, but that it
doesn't know how to configure it.

ep0: utp/bnc[*UTP*] address 00:60:97:40:fb:e1

This one means that pccardd has found the card and has configured it.

6.  I think it's unlikely that the standard pccardd will recognize
    your card, since nothing I've seen recognizes the 3CCFE575BT-D ID.
    Look at the contents of /etc/pccard.conf.  You'll find an entry
    like:

    # 3Com Etherlink III 3C589D
    card "3Com Corporation" "3C589D"
	config	0x1 "ep0" ?
	insert	echo 3Com Etherlink III inserted
	insert	/etc/pccard_ether ep0
	remove	echo 3Com Etherlink III removed
	remove	/sbin/ifconfig ep0 delete

    Change the second line of this entry to:

      card "3Com Corporation" "3CCFE575BT-D"

    The two strings  must be *exactly* what appeared in the console
    message above.  Save the file, stop pccardd (kill <pid> will do
    it) and restart it.  With any luck, pccardd should bind the driver
    to the board, and the driver should recognize it.

Let me know how this works; I need some examples for the book, and
this would help me too.

Greg