Date:      Wed, 26 May 2010 21:05:25 +0200
From:      Mark Stapper <stark@mapper.nl>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Buzzing snd_emu10kx enabled card with r206173
References:  <u2q7d6fde3d1004051122madc6ebb4jc3248d8c68a81333@mail.gmail.com>	<x2m7d6fde3d1004051226k7a0e350bz579b899e4fedd977@mail.gmail.com>	<p2v7d6fde3d1004060339nfdbc4cb9p9ac6e232e38b4d6@mail.gmail.com>	<q2l7d6fde3d1004120729h2d32e696g4182af399580ca01@mail.gmail.com>	<4BF1891F.3040704@mapper.nl>	<AANLkTinMAEAplBOh-gK-2LS1i_XJijafF_Nbg0lwn8YG@mail.gmail.com>	<4BF23029.80104@mapper.nl> <4BFBA130.6060506@mapper.nl> <AANLkTimS8xZ1Lf-49XPb3ZD5fFFIR8SS5Ala_VTKo2oM@mail.gmail.com>

--------------enigB688644CCA9983367F6C7B3B

On 25/05/2010 20:05, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 3:06 AM, Mark Stapper <stark@mapper.nl> wrote:
>  =20
>> On 18/05/2010 08:14, Mark Stapper wrote:
>>    =20
>>> On 18/05/2010 00:22, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>>>
>>>      =20

It

 USB

>>> Thanks for the info.
>>> I've noticed that when I load the kernel module at startup (by adding=
 it
>>> to loader.conf) chances of it working improve.
>>> If I load it afterwards, the nice huff puff sounds come out of my
>>> speaker again.
>>> Compiling the new and improved kernel today.
>>> Thanks for your help.
>>> Greetz,
>>> Mark
>>>

>>>      =20
>> I compiled the emu10kx driver into the kernel.
>> That seemed to work, but now the hissing and buzzing is back.
>> I really don't know what is going on anymore..
>> Any thoughts?
>>    =20
> What modules have you compiled and loaded?
> Thanks,
> -Garrett
g"
>  =20
Kernel config and kldstat output pasted below
regards,
Mark

Id Refs Address            Size     Name
 1   37 0xffffffff80100000 8f1a28   kernel
 2    1 0xffffffff809f3000 d45a98   nvidia.ko
 3    3 0xffffffff81739000 412b0    linux.ko
 4    3 0xffffffff8177b000 426a8    vboxdrv.ko
 5    1 0xffffffff81822000 fbd05    zfs.ko
 6    1 0xffffffff8191e000 1996     opensolaris.ko
 7    1 0xffffffff81920000 3983     linprocfs.ko
 8    2 0xffffffff81924000 26ce     vboxnetflt.ko
 9    2 0xffffffff81927000 8d2c     netgraph.ko
10    1 0xffffffff81930000 14a6     ng_ether.ko
11    1 0xffffffff81932000 d2c      vboxnetadp.ko
12    1 0xffffffff81933000 a8ca     fuse.ko

ident           MARIO
cpu             HAMMER

#makeoptions    DEBUG=3D-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) debu=
symbols

options         SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
options         PREEMPTION              # Enable kernel thread preemption=

options         INET                    # InterNETworking
#options        INET6                   # IPv6 communications protocols
options         SCTP                    # Stream Control Transmission
Protocol
options         FFS                     # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES             # Enable FFS soft updates support=

options         UFS_ACL                 # Support for access control list=
options         UFS_DIRHASH             # Improve performance on big
directories
options         UFS_GJOURNAL            # Enable gjournal-based UFS
journaling
options         MD_ROOT                 # MD is a potential root device
options         NFSCLIENT               # Network Filesystem Client
options         NFSSERVER               # Network Filesystem Server
options         NFSLOCKD                # Network Lock Manager
options         NFS_ROOT                # NFS usable as /, requires
NFSCLIENT
options         MSDOSFS                 # MSDOS Filesystem
options         CD9660                  # ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  # Process filesystem (requires
PSEUDOFS)
options         PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo-filesystem framework
options         GEOM_PART_GPT           # GUID Partition Tables.
options         GEOM_LABEL              # Provides labelization
options         COMPAT_43TTY            # BSD 4.3 TTY compat (sgtty)
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD32        # Compatible with i386 binaries
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD5         # Compatible with FreeBSD5
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD6         # Compatible with FreeBSD6
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD7         # Compatible with FreeBSD7
options         SCSI_DELAY=3D5000         # Delay (in ms) before probing =
SCSI
options         KTRACE                  # ktrace(1) support
options         STACK                   # stack(9) support
options         SYSVSHM                 # SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 # SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 # SYSV-style semaphores
options         P1003_1B_SEMAPHORES     # POSIX-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time
extensions
options         PRINTF_BUFR_SIZE=3D128    # Prevent printf output being
interspersed.
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options         HWPMC_HOOKS             # Necessary kernel hooks for
hwpmc(4)
options         AUDIT                   # Security event auditing
options         MAC                     # TrustedBSD MAC Framework
options         FLOWTABLE               # per-cpu routing cache
#options        KDTRACE_FRAME           # Ensure frames are compiled in
#options        KDTRACE_HOOKS           # Kernel DTrace hooks
options         INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE     # Include this file in kernel

# Make an SMP-capable kernel by default
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel=

# CPU frequency control
device          cpufreq

# Bus support.
device          acpi
device          pci

# Floppy drives
device          fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata
device          atadisk         # ATA disk drives
device          ataraid         # ATA RAID drives
device          atapicd         # ATAPI CDROM drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering

# SCSI peripherals
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device          ch              # SCSI media changers
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
device          cd              # CD
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)=

device          ses             # SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE=
)

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device          atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
device          atkbd           # AT keyboard
device          psm             # PS/2 mouse

device          kbdmux          # keyboard multiplexer

device          vga             # VGA video card driver

device          splash          # Splash screen and screen saver support

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc

device          agp             # support several AGP chipsets

# Serial (COM) ports
device          uart            # Generic UART driver

# PCI Ethernet NICs.
device          em              # Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Family

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NI=
Cs!
device          miibus          # MII bus support
device          nfe             # nVidia nForce MCP on-board Ethernet
#device         nve             # nVidia nForce MCP on-board Ethernet
Networking
device          lagg

# Pseudo devices.
device          loop            # Network loopback
device          random          # Entropy device
device          ether           # Ethernet support
device          vlan            # 802.1Q VLAN support
device          tun             # Packet tunnel.
device          pty             # BSD-style compatibility pseudo ttys
device          md              # Memory "disks"
device          gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
device          faith           # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)
device          firmware        # firmware assist module

# The `bpf' device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
# Note that 'bpf' is required for DHCP.
device          bpf             # Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
options         USB_DEBUG       # enable debug msgs
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
#device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and=
 da
device          ums             # Mouse

# FireWire support
device          firewire        # FireWire bus code
#device         sbp             # SCSI over FireWire (Requires scbus and =
da)
device          fwe             # Ethernet over FireWire (non-standard!)
device          fwip            # IP over FireWire (RFC 2734,3146)
device          dcons           # Dumb console driver
device          dcons_crom      # Configuration ROM for dcons

device sound
device snd_emu10kx
##higher resolution VGA console support
options VESA
options SC_PIXEL_MODE
device dpms

device drm
device amdtemp
#
# CPU control pseudo-device. Provides access to MSRs, CPUID info and
# microcode update feature.
#
device          cpuctl