Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:09:44 -0700
From:      ken keeler <kkeysler@nwlink.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   cannot install 3.1 from CDROM

I have been unable to install from the 3.1 CD's. I've tried installing
over a network cdrom and a local cdrom with the same results.

The process hangs with the progress indicator at 0% and with the message
"extracting bin into / directory..." At the bottom of the screen the
message is, "1024 bytes read from bin dist, chunk 1 0f 102 @ 1.0
KB/sec." The cd will start then quit.

I have attempted this on two separate ATAPI CDROMS that are known to
work under 2.2.7 and 3.0.

There is nothing in errata.txt about this condition.

Has anyone else had this trouble, and what do I do to correct it? This
seems to be a problem with the floppies. Both floppies were formatted
using fdformat prior to copying the images (kern.flp and mfsroot.flp) on
them. I've read in the archive that the new system is "picky" about
floppy media. In an attempt to locate the source of the trouble, two
sets of floppies were made. Neither set produced any different results.

Just to see what would happen, I used a 3.0 boot.flp to install, and the
install went, but, of course, the box would not boot.
--
E=mc^2

student: 1 each |        Ken Keeler