Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 00:43:35 -0700
From:      borehawg <bangpath@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Religious Propoganda.

>>If it is possible.. I would gladly volunteer!
>
>Hi Brent,
>
>While I agree that message did not belong here, how often does a thing like
>that happen here? Is it really worth delaying the flow of messages because
>of an occasional bad apple? (Surely you cannot sit at the computer 24/7 and
>let all good messages pass through immediately.)
>
>Now, if it were to become a regular thing, it may be worth having a human
>filter. But so far, that has not been the case.

Just so I can add my two cents, -Newbies, -Questions and the others that
allow messages to be sent to the list without first being a subscriber are
the ones that will be the easiest to target. The simplest way to reduce
spam (or at least make the spammers work a little harder) would be to setup
Majordomo to only acccept and relay messages from subscribed list members.
Of course, the downside is that new users, especially ones who aren't
prepared to deal with large volumes of email discussions, won't find it as
easy to get the help that these lists are designed to provide.

On a somewhat humorous side note, on one of the unmoderated lists I
participate on, the listmembers actually _foward_ spam to the list if it
includes an 800 number or some other toll-free telephone number to call.
That way, all 1000+ listmembers can call the spammer up (charged to the
spammer, of course) and tell the spammer how much they *love* receiving
spam. One of the listmembers also keeps a database of spammer's 800 numbers
and regularly posts it in case anyone misses it the first time around. Now
I am actually eager for spam to arrive in my mailbox, so I can sift through
it looking for an 800 number :-)

Andrew   --->   bangpath@bellsouth.net