Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 22:27:15 -0600
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley-185-205.res.iastate.edu>
To:        David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How many people use VI? This is unbelievable..

>On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 09:53:05PM -0600, Chris Csanady wrote:
>>I unfortunately have a lot of data to type in, and to my surprise
>>the keypad is unuseable in vi.  It doesn't even work in vim.  Thank
>>god it works on Irix--I thought I would be using ee.
>>
>>Anyways, here is what happens when I type the digits 1-9 on the
>>keypad while in insert mode..

>You don't say what terminal emulator you're using, but with xterm, the
>"application keypad" option gets enabled when entering vi, which prevents
>the keypad from generating numbers.  You can change it once in vi with
>the <Ctrl>+left-button menu.  I haven't looked into this sufficiently
>to know the direct cause of this behaviour.  Maybe it could be avoided
>by tuning the termcap entry?  Maybe 'vi' (as the application) should
>interpret the sequences in the correct way?

This was using the xterm termcap entry.  Although when I login to other
machines running DU4.0 or Irix6, vi works without touching anything.
Regardless, I would be inclined to blame this on our vi.  I don't
understand much about tercap entries, but this certainly violates POLA. :(

So does this mean that the default xterm entry should be different?

Chris