Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:19:46 +0100
From:      "Valerio Daelli" <valerio.daelli@gmail.com>
To:        "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Javier_Mart=EDn_Rueda?=" <jmrueda@diatel.upm.es>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fsck of big disk

Hi,
thanks a lot for your answer.

> > we have a freshly installed FreeBSD 6.2 machine with a gstriped external disk,
> > of 5.3Tb. The disk is composed of two slices of 2.6 Tb.
> > We are trying to have a (background) fsck of it but few hours later
> > since the start of the check
> > the host get unresponsive: it responds to ping but it doesn't let
> > login anyone, nor by ssh
> > nor by console.
> >
> What do you get if you press Control-T on the console when it is
> unresponsive?

We are not able to login via console nor via ssh.
Pheraps you suggest me to press Control-T on the console even if I am not
logged on. I did not try, sorry.

> When you do a background fsck there is a point at which a snapshot of
> the filesystem is taken, although I'd say that happens at the beginning
> of the check. The problem is that with 5.3 Tb, it may take quite a while
> to take the snapshot, and during that time the system blocks any process
> that tries to write to the filesystem. Maybe that's what you are
> experiencing.

What you explained us sounds very interesting. But anyway we simply
solved by disabling background fsck on such a big partition. We had
panics and reboot
and we did not want to risk on a production host.
Bye

Valerio Daelli