Date:      Sun, 04 Oct 1998 10:23:02 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        markm@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with Kerberos and /etc/auth.conf

OK, so I'm just going down my sheet of "things that various people
have reported as being most annoying in FreeBSD" and I'm looking at
the 'ol "su -K" FAQ, that being the one where people inadvertently
install kerberos (either by checking too many things off an install
menu or building from sources) and it subsequently bites the
non-internet connected by making su pause for a heck of a long time
trying to contact a kerberos server which doesn't exist.  The
work-around is to use the -K flag, of course, but this apparently
remains a well-kept secret despite having been mentioned many times on
USENET and other forums, and people are basically putting their feet
into this rabbit hole.  We need to do something! :-)

Since this issue comes up as well with the selection of whether to use
MD5 or DES passwords when creating new password entries, I'm wondering
if the two problems might not be solved by a single solution which
defines the types of authentication mechanisms the system expects to
use and what the defaults are.  Someone also mentioned working on
something like this, but did anything ever come of that?  If not, is
anyone interested in something coming of this?

- Jordan