Date:      Fri, 20 May 2005 22:21:31 -0400
From:      Damian Gerow <dgerow@afflictions.org>
To:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   mplayer, amd64, and CPU flags

Does anyone know why mplayer doesn't seem to acknowledge support of any CPU
flags like SSE, MMX, 3DNow, etc?  I've done some digging, but have only come
up with stuff from OpenBSD that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, and
I'm not sure how applicable it is to FreeBSD (that the flags aren't present
in the machdep sysctl).

The dmesg:

    CPU: AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 244 (1808.34-MHz K8-class CPU)
      Features=0x78bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2>
      AMD Features=0xe0500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,LM,3DNow+,3DNow>

The mplayer output:

    MPlayer 1.0pre7-3.4.2 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
    CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Opteron Sledgehammer (Family: 8, Stepping: 10)
    Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
    MMX supported but disabled
    MMX2 supported but disabled
    SSE supported but disabled
    SSE2 supported but disabled
    3DNow supported but disabled
    3DNowExt supported but disabled
    Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions:

This is with automagic CPU detection compiled in, but when I take it out, I
still get the same thing.