Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 19:25:20 +0300
From:      Dmitrij Tejblum <dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "David E. Tweten" <tweten@frihet.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *HEADS UP* Correction to previous postings.

Mike Smith wrote:
> > 1. I don't need no steenkin' slices.  Wd0 is "dangerously dedicated".
>
> Please define "dangerously dedicated" in terms that mean something.
>
> Specifically, you either have an "all disk slice", or you have an
> "historically bogus slice entry".
>
> In the first case, fdisk will show slice 1 covering the entire disk.
> In the second case, fdisk will show slice 3 containing 50000 blocks
> (24MB).

My wd1 is "all disk slice". The "first slice" started at cyl 0,
head 0, sector 1 and cover all wd1. (Warning: BIOS sector numbering
starts with sector 1 :) This is how sysinstall creates "dangerously
dedicated" disk.

> > So, as a "dangerously dedicated" kind of guy, what do I need to do in the
> > brave new world of "Slices uber ales?"
>
> Update mount.  Follow its recommentations.  You may find that you have
> a sliced disk after all, in which case regardless of what you think you
> want, what you have is what you have.

Hmm, I have sort of sliced disk, since it has a valid slice entry in
partition table. This all is not matter much, since wd1s1a is what new
mount suggest, and the only device that old mount accept as the root
device.

So, my "not-that-dangerously dedicated" disk now "dangerously
not-that-dedicated". :) Oh well...

Dima