Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 2004 21:51:15 -0400
From:      braidsenfro@netscape.net (Akbar)
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting over the FreeBSD Learning Curve

It occured to me that you get better with FreeBSD one desired feature at a time. I wanted to input Japanese text, I had to look around, read, and ask.  It broke when i installed chinput, then i reinstalled it and got a better understanding of enabling japanese input in X. Before that i had to understand something about installing software. I wanted to burn a CD, and ended up making my first Makefile, so now i know how to read them better in the ports.

I'm a newbie of better than a year now.  Still excited about FreeBSD, but admittedly, it seems like FreeBSD is not for people who want everything now.  That's what Apples are for. For example, i ran an OpenGL screen saver under KDE and it was horribly slow. I also have a SB Audigy Gamer card that i don't hear anything out of at the moment, but I will, eventually.

I'm sure almost all newbies want to be gurus. Here's my postulation on how. Think of something you want to do on your FreeBSD station, then concentrate on doing it. Once that's done, go to the next thing. In other words, don't look at FreeBSD as a whole.  Chances are, you don't care about everything that it is made of, or can do. But over time you'll have a degree of fluency in FreeBSD.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.