Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:36:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   hoontech dsp24 value Re: Fortissimo II vs Santa Cruz for FreeBSD

heavens to betsty!

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Stephen McKay wrote:

> On Thursday, 17th January 2002, Stephen McKay wrote:
>
> My final correspondent suggested the "Hoontech DSP24 Value. Supposedly the
> Envy24 driver at http://www.opensound.com works for it under FreeBSD."
> This looks quite appealing: 24bit 96kHz stereo playback and record through
> RCA connectors, a 10 channel 36 bit hardware mixer, and coaxial and optical
> digital in/out on an optional bracket.  No silly 3D modes.  Straightforward
> and practical.  And cheap too (compared to similar cards).

this card has a really nice set of features for the money. and *omits* the
ones that are irrelevant to my needs ( No silly 3D modes indeed! :-) )

> http://www.alsa-project.org (the Linux sound driver project) supports the
> DSP24, and the chip manufacturer supplies the data sheet for free.

this is also a mighty positive sign.

> Could be a winner, with a bit of work.

i'd say *would* be a winner.

> I'm not convinced that any of the cheap cards will be turn out to sound any
> good, and I'm willing to waste the fancy 3D aspects to get the sound I want.
> Plus the DSP24 looks like a practical and useful tool.  Well, OK, I want to
> fiddle with it!  That's enough reason, isnt it?

hell yah! :-)

you probably arent interested in professional audio applications, but i
think this would be the perfect budget card to work with ardour:
http://ardour.sourceforge.net/

--

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life