Date:      Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:57:34 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        Jonathan Noack <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, S?ren Schmidt <sos@DeepCore.dk>
Subject:   Re: atapicam breakage (was: ata breakage [STILL])

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 02:03:44AM -0500, Jonathan Noack wrote:
> On 05/12/05 01:36, S?ren Schmidt wrote:
> >Jonathan Noack wrote:
> >>I am still getting breakage from ata with sources from around midnight
> >>CDT (after the latest updates).  These result in odd messages being
> >>printed to the screen and eventual panics before the machine mounts
> >>root.  See the attached horrific.txt for the boot messages and some
> >>brief ddb action.  Note the garbage right before the panic.  The
> >>garbage was printed out before a 30 second pause prior to the panic.
> >>
> >>I backed out src/sys/dev/ata to '2005-05-03 07:55:00 UTC' and
> >>everything works perfectly.  See the attached normal.txt for these
> >>boot messages.
> >>
> >>The panic seems to happen during probing of the CD drive.  I use
> >>atapicam *without* atapicd.  The kernel config is also attached.
> >
> >OK, loose atapicam from the kernel and let me know how that goes..
>
> Yup, everything works fine without atapicam but with atapicd.  Looks
> like atapicam is the source of the breakage.

I'm seeing this same problem (well, the symptoms are the same) on a
6-stable amd64 system (cvsup'd today). If I include atapicam in the
kernel the system panics on boot (after the "ATA PseudoRAID loaded"
message and before the "Trying to mount root ..." message). If I remove
atapicam from the kernel everything is fine unless I kldload atapicam.
A short while after loading atapicam (takes a few minutes to panic) it
then panics with the same panic message:

panic: g_read_data(): invalid length 3179371452

Bob

--
Bob Willcox                Reality is nothing but a collective hunch.
bob@immure.com                     -- Lily Tomlin