Date:      Sun, 24 Apr 2011 12:54:44 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        "sthaug@nethelp.no" <sthaug@nethelp.no>
Cc:        "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "mav@freebsd.org" <mav@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Switch from legacy ata(4) to CAM-based ATA

On Apr 23, 2011, at 10:36 AM, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

>> In other words, "ada" isn't the problem here, it's that we all still =
think in terms of the 1980's when systems didn't autoconfigure and =
device names were important hints to system functionality.  That time =
has thankfully passed, and it's time for us to catch up.
>=20
> If this is important for disk type devices, why not also for network
> type devices? Why don't we all use ethX like Linux does?

I'd really like to see that as well, but there were strong disagreements =
when I floated the idea 4 years ago.

> Personally I *like* knowing something about the underlying type of
> device and technology - but I can definitely see both sides of the
> argument here.
>=20

Indeed, there's nothing wrong with preserving access to the system =
details for the use of administration, troubleshooting, and even mere =
geeky knowledge.  This isn't about taking power away from the =
superusers, it's about making the system smart enough to handle common =
situations reliably. I'm sure that there some among us who pine for the =
good old days of manually configuring and linking a kernel, but it's =
hard to argue that an auto-configured kernel isn't pretty darn =
convenient most of the time.  What I'm proposing is just the next step =
in that process.

Scott=