Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:21:41 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Fredrik Lindberg <fli+freebsd-net@shapeshifter.se>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Zeroconfig and Multicast DNS

On Aug 24, 2006, at 3:10 PM, Fredrik Lindberg wrote:
>> Queries to 254.169.in-addr.arpa MUST return NXDOMAIN (or RCODE 3,
>> to choose a non-BIND specific term).
>
> We're talking about mDNS here, not DNS. I would argue that because
> mDNS is link-local it makes perfect sense to be able to resolve
> 254.169.in-addr.arpa using mDNS.

True, agreed-- that's in part (b) of what I quoted.  The specific
part is:

"Names that are resolvable only on the local link (such as through
use of
protocols such as Link Local Multicast Name Resolution [LLMNR]) MUST NOT
be used in off-link communication."

What this means is that the hostname-to-address mapping for
254.169.in-addr.arpa addresses must be unique per interface.  If you
have two interfaces which are connected to different LLA subnets,
169.254.1.1 might map to hostnameA on one, and that same IP might be
hostnameB on the other.

--
-Chuck