Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:04:00 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum performance

Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 18 June 1999 at  1:14:20 -0700, Darryl Okahata wrote:
>
> >      Possible marginally-related data point: with the 3.1-RELEASE vinum,
> > and with striped drives (yes, I know the original user is using
> > concatenated devices), I saw pretty bad write performance with the
> > default filesystem frag size.  Increasing the frag size (via newfs),
> > increased performance substantially.
>
> That shouldn't have anything to do with it.  If you see anything
> unusual in Vinum performance, please tell me.

     It shouldn't, perhaps, have anything to do with it, but it did.
I'm simply reporting empirical results, where I kept the stripe size
constant and varied the filesystem frag size.  I was able to get around
a 2X improvement in write speed by increasing the frag size.  Why, I
don't know.  I do know that I saw what I saw.  ;-)

     This was, however, using 128K stripe sizes.  Perhaps there's an
interaction between small stripes and frag sizes?

     Also, I'm still stuck using the 3.1-RELEASE vinum.  I want to
upgrade to something newer, but I can't do so until I manage to backup
my system (and I've got a lot of files to backup).  ;-(

> It's easy to come to
> incorrect conclusions about the cause of performance problems, and
> disseminating them doesn't help.  Follow the links at

     It's not so much of a conclusion as a data point.  I'm simply
reporting what I saw.

     Note that I am NOT saying that varying the frag size is the most
significant way of improving performance.  I'm sure that you're correct
in your recommendations.  However, I was able to significantly affect
write performace simply by changing the frag size.  As I've said, I
don't know why, but it happened.  I don't know how reproducible this is;
maybe it's related to rotational latencies, the particular drive type,
drive firmware, CPU speed, etc..  I don't know -- but I do know that it
happened, and I'm simply reporting a data point.

     This is just a single data point, and we all know how dangerous it
is to extrapolate from a single data point.  ;-)   However, if others
report their findings, we may or may not find a trend.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.