Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 19:38:22 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interesting panic very early in the boot

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 09:57:41AM -0700, Bakul Shah wrote:
Terry suggested:
> > I believe setting DISABLE_PSE in the config file and rebuilding
> > will make this go away.
>
> Terry, thanks for the suggestion but that didn't do it.

Ok, so it's time to speculate a bit more about this.

Although I have been seeing this panic since Sunday, only one other
person has reported it so far. Although it may be that this is due to
the fact that developers do not run up-to-date -CURRENT and hence do not
see problems that are this "new" (and I bet that the tinderbox only
tests building, but does not try to actually run the stuff), perhaps
there is a different explanation.

Bakul mentioned that the panic happens on a PPro. For me, it's a PII. I
am using a CPUTYPE setting of "p2" in /etc/make.conf. This gets
converted to a "-march=pentiumpro" on the actual compile line. This may
be the same for the PPro. This suggests a remote possibility that there
might be a problem with this option, so this is the next thing that I am
going to test.

We'll see...
--
Regards: