Date:      Sun, 08 Mar 2015 09:42:13 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Single worst bug for ports: lang/gcc* doesn't support c++11

On 03/07/15 23:36, Yuri wrote:
> On 03/07/2015 21:28, Russell L. Carter wrote:
>>
>> I would like to understand better the problem here, because I use c++11
>> features heavily with lang/gcc49 on a daily basis with zero problems.
>
> No, gcc-4.9.3 fails in the same way. Specific missing feature:
> std::snprintf
>
> error: 'snprintf' is not a member of 'std'

Ok, I can confirm missing std::to_string in lang/g++49, fixed with
-D_GLIBCXX_USE_C99.

In /usr/local/lib/gcc49/include/c++/bits/basic_string.h
std::to_string() and company are convenience wrappers for the
c conversion functions, and according to:

https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/libstdc++/2013-10/msg00246.html

this would seem like a bug in the process the gnu c and c++ people
use to manage "newlib" development versioning.

Lots of other folk (netbsd, cygwin, arm) are complaining too.

I can understand the porting aggravation but I'm not sure that there
are no bugs lurking in any of that code protected by the #ifdef, so
just eliding it doesn't seem zero-risk.

Russell