Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:29:47 +0200
From:      "Gareth Bailey" <blygar1@webmail.co.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help me make a Mail Server choice

Perica Veljanovski wrote:

>Hi,

>I have some trouble choosing between "postfix" and "qmail"
>for the new
>corporate mail server I'll be making. I'm looking for the
>one with least
>administrative overhead (since I run a one man show) and
>security is a
>big issue. Also, I'm looking for some guidance (choices)
>for POP, IMAP
>and webMail interface as well as Virus and SPAM
(preferably >free)
>protection.

My mail setup is Postfix with amavisd-new,
spamassasin(built into amavisd-new) and clamav antivirus.
It was quite easy to setup, and its stable. For IMAP and
POP i use Courier-Imap with SSL, and for webmail i use
SquirrelMail.

The admin is low (although i only have about 5 LAN users).
I would recommend my mail setup anyday. If you like i can
mail some resources that i used in setting up our server.

>Another issue is the FreeBSD version. Should I stay with
>the 4.x-STABLE
>or should I go with the 5.x. If I set up a 5.2-Release,
>will the upgrade
>to 5.3-STABLE be enough, or is there a possibility that I
>will have to
>reformat and do a clean 5.3 install.

I would stay with the 4.x-STABLE branch (4.10) but get
others' input on this.

Cheers,
Gareth
For super low premiums ,click here http://www.dialdirect.co.za/quote