Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2006 00:30:27 +1000
From:      Shane J Pearson <shanejp@netspace.net.au>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New or used laptop recommendation(s)

Hello Eric,

On 2006.06.09, at 11:28 PM, Eric Brunner-Williams at a VSAT somewhere
wrote:

> I've gone through a couple of Sony's, don't want to repeat that,
> and I'm
> looking for suggestions.

I am also not very pleased with my Sony VAIO. I had been trying to
get the 6 Rel series going on my VGN-A49GP and now thanks to the
FreeBSD people I can run 6.1 on this machine. But now that I can
finally run 6.1 Rel, after 11 months of owning and having the machine
almost always on my desk (rarely moved), this $5,000 AU machine is dead.

I am *really* glad that I paid the extra $250 for an extra 2 years on
the warrantee. But with the poor physical quality starting to show
through and the fact that it's now dead, I'm wondering if I should
sell it after getting it back from Sony repairs and cut my losses and
get a Thinkpad. Opening and closing it feels so very painfully
plastic and like something is going to break, the silver paint on the
palm rests even started wearing off after only 2 months or so. The
BIOS options are about as minimal as you can get and some BIOS
functions don't even work (has option to boot external device, but
will not boot any USB or firewire device, not even a Sony USB floppy
drive).

This was my first Sony laptop and will almost certainly be my last. I
would not recommend a Sony VAIO to my worst enemy.

My girlfriend has a really nice IBM/Lenovo Z60t Thinkpad which I have
put a minimal 6.1 Rel install (CLI only) into a very small partition
for scripted whole-disk image backups for her. Can anyone report if
sound is supported yet on the Z60t under FreeBSD? I'm so impressed
with the build quality of this Thinkpad, that I'm kicking myself for
not going with what I knew were good quality machines.

Shane