Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 1995 09:15:11 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        root@aries.fb3.noaa.gov
Subject:   Re: gcc for freebsd?

As Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * 			 If it isn't, then how did you get gnu f77 working?
>  * I thought g77 relied on gcc as it's back end!  Also, I noticed the text
>  * associated with bcc - "can do 16-bit code".  Is freebsd a 16-bit OS?
>
> No, it's a full 32-bit OS.  I believe the thing about bcc is that you
> can use it to generate programs that can run on 16-bit OS's (like
> DOpeS) if you do something clever.

Yup.  It's not directly intented to produce DOpeS code (it produces
some a.out, i believe it's been a Minix one originally), however it
can be abused to create a DOS .com file with minor tweaking.

Bcc itself can also be compiled to produce 6809 code, which is an
8-bit CPU.  Doesn't mean FreeBSD were an 8-bit operating system
either. :-)

--
cheers, J"org