Date:      Tue, 07 Oct 2008 19:03:28 -0400
From:      Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>
To:        Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Hard crash with new snd_hda.

Alexander Motin wrote:
> Frank Mayhar wrote:
>> Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>> cpuid = 1; apic id = 01
>> fault virtual address   = 0x14
>> fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
>> instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xc617e0f1
>> stack pointer           = 0x28:0xe80697fc
>> frame pointer           = 0x28:0xe8069828
>> code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>>                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
>> processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
>> current process         = 1184 (kldload)
>> trap number             = 12
>> panic: page fault
>> cpuid = 1
>> Uptime: 54s
>> Physical memory: 2003 MB
>> Dumping 95 MB:
>
> This is probably the late consequence. I think debugging at this point
> won't give much. At least it will require deep data structures digging.
>
> You can enable some more debugging with setting hw.snd.verbose=4. May
> be it will give some clues. If not, probably we should try to add some
> debug printing near channel-to-device assignment loop near line 7170.
> We should try to find is the channel number was incorrectly set
> initially or it was erased later or channel memory itself was erased.
>
> The only idea I have now about the problem is that it may be related
> to the two audio codecs that you have on the same HDA bus. You are the
> first person who reported about such setup, so it wasn't ever tested.

I think I am having a similar issue, discovered it on a new model Dell
Latitude E6500.  It is probably seeing a codec for HDMI and modem in
addition to the normal sound. Sound works if I patch the old hda driver
to detect my codec on 7.1, but I just got 8 installed last night.  If I
have KDB_UNATTENDED and a dumpdev, it either hangs at the beginning of
the dump or reboots almost immediately after the panic.  I can try to
hook up a serial or firewire console later and gather more info, but
tonight I might be too busy.  In the meantime, here are two screenshots
of the panic and the backtrace:
http://www.egr.msu.edu/~mcdouga9/pics/1007081830.jpg
http://www.egr.msu.edu/~mcdouga9/pics/1007081831.jpg