Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 00:00:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      jack <jack@diamond.xtalwind.net>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium "upgrade chips"

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Brian J. McGovern wrote:

> I was just flipping though my latest copy of Micro Warehouse catalog, and I
> noticed (not the the first time) CPU upgrade chips that claimed to be
> dropping "Pentium Processing Power" in to a 486 socket. Average cost was
> about $110, and all of the vendors made reasonable claims to speed
> improvement.
>
> I'm curious to find out if anyone has used them with a FreeBSD
> enviornment, and how they worked out.

We tried one.  Wouldn't get far enough into the boot sequence to begin to
load any OS off the drive on two motherboards.  On a third it would only
boot if the external cache was disabled, making it slower than the
486DX2-66 it, briefly :), replaced.

Wanna buy it?  ;)

Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@diamond.xtalwind.net or
jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
 PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD