Date:      Tue, 01 Feb 2000 01:36:15 -0500
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@ds.net>
To:        Mike Morgan <mikemorgan@hfnweb.com>
Cc:        "'schwenk@math.udel.edu'" <schwenk@math.udel.edu>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Any 'elders' care to help?  [Was:  wd0 or wd1]

> Mike Morgan wrote:
>
> I did not change anything in /dev per your warning.
>
> I've booted in single user but when i try to fsck -p it tells me:
> Can't stat /dev/wd0s1a: No such file or directory
> I'm also unable to mount any disks.
>
> I did check on the existence of wd0s*, but they do not exist.  What i
> do have is
>
> wd0s1 and rwd0s1
> wd1s1a thru h, and rwd1s1a thru h
>
> does wd0s1a thru h and rwd0s1a thru h need to be created somehow?

Ok.  At this point you need to end up the following devices:
  rwd0s1a .. rwd0s1h
  wd0s1a  .. wd0s1h

Problem is that I'm not the one to tell you how to create them.  Under
other circumstances I might suggest using 'mknod' to accomplish this but
something tells me it's going to be a bit more complicated this time.
You _might_ be able to do this with disklabel or sysinstall but I can't
promise you that they won't destroy the existing data.   At this point
you need the assistance of one of the group elders.

Good luck though and let me know how it works out.