Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 12:49:07 -0800
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for review (HW checksum patches)

> From: Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
> Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 13:35:53 -0600
> To: net@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Request for review (HW checksum patches)
>
>   I have a set of patches which allows offloading checksums to
> NICs which support it (right now, only the Alteon based cards).
> The patch is at <http://www.freebsd.org/~jlemon/csum.patch>.

This prompts a question on a related issue: there seems to be an increase
in support of protocol operations on NICs (e.g., tickle/keep-alive support
while the system is sleeping; IPSec; ...).  Is there enough there to let us
build a general mechanism for communication between stack and driver for
this sort of thing (e.g., a "meta-data" slot in the packet header which
points to an mbuf, or other structure, that contains the details)?

We're currently trying to deal with this in Mac OS X, and it'd be nice to
avoid having multiple wheels of different size and shape in the same source
base.

Regards,

Justin